The more we learn about the Second World War,
the better our chances that it will be the LAST world war.
Contact information: I am here in Flateby, Norway. My new phone number is 40 21 61 50.
Free (but not public domain) Games -- and more to come:
- NAVAL ACTION: A 1895-1945 naval miniatures game system - FREE - Copyright 1997 Louis R. Coatney)
- Free board game: German Eagle vs. Russian Bear: A [FREE] World War II Russian Front Boardgame Kit (indexed on Educational Resources Information Center as ERIC Document no. ED361256, Copyright 1993 Louis R. Coatney)
- EVEN NEWER THAN NEW ... YET: Free board game - Zhukov's Brutal Battle: Operation Mars, 1942 While the others were masterminding the double envelopment and annihilation of the German 6th Army at Stalingrad, Marshal Georgi Zhukov was ruthlessly and bloodily determined to elminate Army Group Center's Rzhev salient up north, west of Moscow. This is the subject of Col. (rtd.) David Glantz's book Zhukov's Greatest Defeat.
- EVEN NEWER YET: Free board game - Berlin: Koniev and Zhukov Race to Victory The Russians' Berlin Operation, wherein Koniev's 1st Ukrainian Front and Zhukov's 1st Belorussian Front race to see who will take Berlin and kill or capture Hitler first. One player is Koniev and the Germans facing Zhukov, and the other player is Zhukov and the Germans facing Koniev - or one player can be the Germans and the other the Russians, in conventional fashion.
- EVEN NEWER: Free board game: Moscow Defended! Basic, an even faster, simpler version of my little Moscow Defended! on my LCoat.tripod.com webpage. This uses the far simpler firing point system. The map is the same as in the older Moscow Defended!, with corrections.
- NEWER: Free board game: Patton's Lorraine - Minigame, a much faster, simpler, smaller version of Patton's Lorraine Campaign - below - basically at division level.
- NEW: Free board game: Ardennes Petite (Ardennes Small): A Battle of the Bulge, Ardennes 1944, Minigame, a VERY fast, relatively simple little chess-like game about the desperate Dec44 Nazi German counteroffensive in the Belgian and Luxembourg Ardennes, which started 16Dec44.
- NEW: Darkest Crusade, a fast and fairly simple hex-and-counter game about the Axis 22Jun41 invasion of Soviet Russia - Operation Barbarossa - using Tiger Attack!'s popular firing point with fortification system.
- Free board game: TIGER ATTACK! The Battle of the Bulge, Ardennes 1944, a very fast, relatively simple point-to-point game about the desperate Dec44 Nazi German counteroffensive in the Belgian and Luxembourg Ardennes, which started 16Dec44.
- Moscow vs. Barbarossa, 1941, about the Nazi German offensive against Moscow and the Russian counteroffensive, October 1941-January 1942. 27 miles per hex (means 9 hexes from Smolensk to Moscow), corps-army level (32 Russian and 22 German ground units), half-month gameturns. Features Katyushas, Red Army parachute drops, Combat Odds Round-Off and Risk Resolution Rule, Optional Russian game-start, and more.
MvB41's games system is based on my division level Moscow game, Barbarossa's Climax, and is a good introduction to it.
- Barbarossa's Climax: Moscow 1941, 26Oct13, about the Nazi German offensive against Moscow and the Russian counteroffensive, October 1941-January 1942. 10 miles per hex, division level, 6-day gameturns. Features katyusha regiments, Red Army parachute drops, Combat Odds Round-Off and Risk Resolution Rule, Optional Russian game-start, and more.
Also: A Battle for Tula sub-game to learn Barbarossa's Climax's game system.
- Leningrad, 1941: The Embattled City, about the Nazi German attack on Leningrad, July-October 1941. Features special rules for the Red Banner Baltic Fleet and Marines, railway guns, optional reinforcements (historically used), etc.
- Blitzkrieg! The Attack on the West, 1940, about the Nazi German attack against Holland, Belgium, and France. Features special rules for Tank Fright and Armor Overrun, etc.
Seven 7-day turns - historically, the Germans did it in five.
- Free game, France 1914, about the German 1914 invasion of France (and Belgium)and the French people's heroic resistance to that - featuring the Taxicabs of Paris and Mata Hari rules, among others.
- Tigers in the Ardennes, Revised 17Mar13, about the Nazi German December 1944 counteroffensive in the Ardennes Forest of Belgium and Luxembourg. Features special rules for Tiger Fright and Tiger Tank Breakdown, KampGruppe Pieper, Waffen-SS Ruthlessness, General Patton's Weather Prayer, Bridge Building, Demolition, and Busting, etc.
- The Gazala Gallop, about Rommel's greatest victory in the desert, outflanking the Gazala Line and finally taking Tobruk from the British 8th Army, May-June 1942 - or can you reverse history?
- Basic Version, with game mechanics as elegantly simple as my 1st Alamein's. THIS is the version of the game to use.
- Advanced Version, with historical minefield( hexside)s and brigade boxes printed on mapsheet. (I've stopped work on this version: the basic version is at least as good historically and far simpler to play.)
- Patton's Lorraine Campaign, about Patton's attempt to break through the Siegfried Line (before the Dec44 German Ardennes counteroffensive, as it turned out). Weekly turns. Regiment to division level with some U.S. tank and tank destroyer battalions. Revised, 6Dec12.
- Stalingrad: Gorod Smerti, revised 13Jun13, about the Wehrmacht's disastrous failure to take Stalin's city by frontal assault in Sep-Nov42 - or can you reverse history?
- War Against Russia map segments - those transportation lines are roads, not railroads. Other components are on my other webpage.
- Northern - Revised Jul11, when I discovered Kalinin/Tver is on the south bank of the Volga, not the north.
Free, public domain U.S. Government ONI (Office of Naval Intelligence) ID recognition manual plans drawings of World War 2 II ships warships naval vessels -- and more to come
Free Cardstock Paper Model World War 2/II Warships Warship Plans.
My new 3-D 1:1200 card model ships, complementing the Airfix Sink the Bismarck set.
Free "2-D" World War II model ships, from ONI drawings.
Photos of recent 3-D cardstock model ships I have designed.
- Royal Norwegian Navy destroyer/jager Sleipner
- Italian prewar Navigatori class destroyer.
- Japanese light cruiser Jintsu ... and opponent.
- German Maasz class destroyer and K class light cruiser.
- Mystery ship.
A FREE 3-D cardstock paper model ship plan of the Sleipner class WW2 Norwegian destroyers
Those interested may want to read my 1994 Western Illinois University history masters thesis, THE KATYN MASSACRE: AN ASSESSMENT OF ITS SIGNIFICANCE AS A PUBLIC AND HISTORICAL ISSUE IN THE UNITED STATES AND GREAT BRITAIN, 1940-1993.
Errata for my classic 3W game, Sturm nach Osten
Second 2nd Edition 1991 rules, player aids, and units, for my point to point Russian Front game Dark Crusade, published by 3W in 1984.
How to fight, treat, survive chronic bronchitis, from a lifetime of experience.
Lou's Exercises against (Lower) Back Pain.
Pricelist for other Lou Coatney games -- CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE:
All games are $60.00 hand-assembled (with mapsheet taped together and pieces mounted on cardboard) or $35.00 as an unassembled kit, postage paid. No dice included in either case.
For further info, e-mail me at ELCOAT@hotmail.com
- THE BARBAROSSA FILE: DEEP BATTLE IN RUSSIA, 1941-42.  This is a
relatively simple division-to-front(!) level game about the Nazi
invasion of the Soviet Union, excluding Finland. There are 100 Axis and
Soviet units in the game-start. Map scale is 36mis/60kms per hex: 20
hexagonal spaces from Warsaw to Moscow. Time scale is 20 days per turn.
BARBAROSSA FILE features a hidden Soviet setup, variable
reinforcement/replacement rate, and three possible starting Soviet unit
lineups: 1. Historical, 2. "From Marshal Budyonny's Stables," and 3.
"The Tukhachevsky Twist."
- THE BATTLES FOR ALAMEIN  This is a regiment-to-division level
two-player boardgame about the attempts by the German general (and then
field marshal) Erwin Rommel--"The Desert Fox"--to break through the
British Commonwealth positions near El Alamein, to conquer all of Egypt
and the Suez Canal for the Axis in World War II. Rommel was ultimately
defeated and then routed back to Libya by British Field Marshal
Montgomery, but maybe you can do better. The game includes all four
major battles: 1st Alamein (1-10Jul42), Ruweisat Ridge (Jul42), Alam
Halfa (Aug42), and The Battle of Alamein (Oct-Nov42). My son Robert did the excellent CAD-designed tank-aircraft-figure icons for the unit pieces. 1st ALAMEIN is still free on my other webpage.
- GERMAN EAGLE VS. RUSSIAN BEAR  For those who don't want to print off and assemble their own free copy for themselves. (I don't enjoy doing it, either.)
- LEYTE GULF NAVAL CHESS GAME  A fast, simple naval/air combat system very similar to SKY, SEA, and JUNGLE's, below. An step up from the old game BATTLESHIP, with historical task groups that move and fight around the Philippine archipelago. Movement is hidden (and for the Japanese pre-plotted every day), unless unveiled by reconnaissance. Yamato, Musashi, Iowa, New Jersey, our fast carrier (and escort carrier) groups, Kamikazes -- they're all there. I licensed the game to be published in Japanese in Game Journal No. 11. It's free on my other webpage, or you can get an assembled copy.
- NAVAL ACTION My critically acclaimed naval miniatures game system. Available only in "kit" form. - NOW AVAILABLE FREE, HERE - SEE ABOVE.
- SKY, SEA, AND JUNGLE: THE HORROR OF GUADALCANAL, AUGUST-
DECEMBER 1942  A fast, simple, combined air, sea, and land
combat system. Hidden deployment, sometimes compromised by Allied
"Magic" code-breaking intelligence. Primary emphasis on the naval
war, with a sleek, factorless combat results system a 3rd Grader can
understand. Game includes: B-17s and Bettys, Japanese "Long Lance"
torpedoes, YAMATO, etc. The Guadalcanal campaign (with New Guinea
attached) in 9 action-packed turns. I am very proud of my
CAD-designed ship and aircraft icons on the unit pieces.
There are favorable reviews of SS&J, at www.Grognard.com and in PAPER WARS #29.